Reflecting on my week #7

I always knew last week was going to be a busy one at work with the launch of a new organisation-wide strategy. I also knew that after a great week away I'd most likely be operating closer to holiday speed than mad Londoner speed, so the start of the week might leave me standing. As it turned out I warmed up to my usual speed pretty quickly during the day but to sustain that I needed to be quieter here and more so on social media. 

But it's only a week so that was ok.  And quite a week as it turned out.

Perhaps I should have had an inkling as to how the week might go when I made my first cup of tea of the week at work.  Returning to my desk with my tea in hand and without spilling it (result!) at almost exactly the same time I placed it on my desk, the fire alarm went off...

There was nothing for it but to leave the tea on my desk and head out. By the time I got back I knew it'd be cold, and as my building also houses the cafe there wasn't even a chance of an immediate replacement.  I considered heating it up in the microwave when we were left back in, but I was delayed further by those impromptu but useful meetings that happen when a whole building decants into a sunny autumnal day.

Eventually though I got my cup of tea. A fresh one at that too.  Monday was looking up again.

Emails were going down, and so was the pile of holiday washing, but still the blog tasks were going up (and still are) The strategy launch took place - phew - and there was a night out in the City too catching up with friends. A late night too, and just about making it home before the clock struck twelve. Just.

Friday, unusually I drove to work. It made it easier to be where I needed to be, and taking advantage of that convenience I stopped off at the shops on the way home that evening. But something was odd, as my headlights weren't turning off.

I'd forgotten it shouldn't be possible to do that any more. 

I thought maybe I'd knocked a switch. So out came the manual, and everything was checked.

I hadn't knocked anything, but still the lights were on.

Phone calls were made, and advice sought, and the switches checked again. Confident it wasn't me then I called the RAC. 

Less than an hour later he arrived and the problem was quickly identified - the headlight relay was stuck on. And under the bonnet, on the fuseboard it was smoking a bit. The relay was removed and the lights went off. 



But of course it was dark, and I wasn't home yet. So it was put back in, and I headed home with the RAC man close behind me. Once home the temporary fix was applied again, and I was left with a car with no headlights and so, a car that can only be driven during the day when conditions permit.

With Storm Brian on his way and a visit to Buckinghamshire planned for the weekend, plans were revised to make use of public transport instead. And now that it's done, it wasn't so bad. It wasn't as convenient as travelling by car, of course, but the tube journey gave me the opportunity to stick my nose in my book.  Again (more on that soon).

So this week my car is going to the dealership, and I'll be seriously looking for my next car.  I've a feeling the week ahead is going to be expensive one way or another, I hope I'm wrong, but somehow I suspect not...

I am lucky though. I'm grateful that my car just developed a fear of the dark, instead of going for a full on smoking habit!