Week 4: Doors and a new floor

In the last of my conservatory update we were going grey, but we were still exposed to the elements after a mix up of when the doors and windows would be delivered.  Needless to say I'm glad the weather had been good, but also I was pleased to see they'd arrived on the second attempt. 

The doors and new window have arrived
 
And door frames too

The glass was leant against the inside wall and the frames were scattered around the garden, which had become a hive of activity.  I think our builders were also pleased they'd arrived, as I think they were running out of things to do.

The garden became a hive of activity again - thankfully no rain

It was quite sad though to see the interior doors, which for the past few weeks had doubled as our exterior doors, discarded by the bins waiting for collection.  They'd served us well, and replacing them with bifold doors was a bit of a gamble, and one we still weren't sure if it'd pay off or not, but there was no going back now.

The old internal doors have been discarded

We were starting to get an idea though, and it was starting to look very different, despite the builder's work area and the misplaced furniture.

Doors looking from the inside

Already we were benefitting from the additional light, and with the sun reflecting the trees on the new glass it seemed too good an opportunity to miss out on an arty shot, new glass labels and all.

Testing their bifold-ness.jpg

Although it was hard to imagine exactly the end result with the white protective strip.  And as much as we wanted to rip that off and see, we knew we should wait.

External doors again - yay

Now we have glass, the corner I keep revisiting was also looking different. 

And glass in the window too

 

Making good indoors

Filler in the floor, but I'm not happy with it

A few days later and now we were watertight and with lockable external doors - yay! - work had moved inside. 

The dark strip in the photo on the right is where our higher-than-we-wanted-step had been removed.  The step, we discovered was a row of bricks, and a row of bricks that are now in the garden ready to be put to use in the border to distinguish the slate bed from the border proper. 

At the moment though, digging these into the garden isn't going to happen, some softer soil would be preferable!

But anyway back to the dark strip, we came home to this and while I tried to like it, I just couldn't.  The plan was to cover this with a piece of wood, but I thought this would draw attention to a space we were keen to disguise. 

Not only that it wasn't a uniform strip as it tapered one end.  I did try to like it, really I did, but I wasn't happy.  So the next morning we had a chat with the builders and aired our concerns, and a possible solution. While they weren't too happy about having to undo this, they did understand why and liked our solution. 

The other job was some plastering to make the internal walls good again.  They were well aware of how important to us our glass splashback was.  And you know how messy plastering is, don't you?

preparation for plastering

Well, they did a good job.  And a good job clearing up too.

Plastering done and drying

Well, almost. 

Plaster in more places than I'd hoped

I came close to cleaning the radiator, but resisted.

Outside the original windowsill was being filled and painted and given a new lease of life now that the window was in.  To try and prevent similar damage the window was installed a few inches back (it was previously where the filler is) and, along with the guttering, we hope that it'll extend its life.

A look at the exterior of the corner

Next up was the floor in the conservatory.  We weren't sure of the quality of the floor, if it was wood or just a veneer.  It turned out to be solid oak, so we struck lucky.  The photo below shows how it was, what it looks like sanded and the dark strip was the colour we'd chosen off the sample chart.  

choosing a floor colour

Luckily MOH was at home and the floor man had the good sense to check if this was right.  MOH wasn't sure it was and a photo was soon on its way to me for a third opinion.  He knows me well, as I wouldn't have been happy to come home to a floor of the darker colour.  Given how long it had taken us to choose the "linen" colour, and for it to be so wrong, it was easy for us both to decide on the more natural approach, and so clear varnish was added to what is a beautiful floor.

The sanded floor

A complete save, weren't we lucky?

the internal bifold doors

It took a few days for the new plaster to dry out, and I caught the shadow of the dining room light one evening. Surely it wouldn't be long now before we could be, at the very least, almost straight again.

shadows on the drying plasterwork

And it wasn't really, and this was one of the better building or redecoration project we've ever had, so that really is a blessing.  As building projects gone wrong really are painful, and sadly we know from first-hand experience.

stripes on the grass circles

As I was looking through the photos for this post this one stood out.  Mostly because our grass was still green - it's a kind of straw colour right now - and to think, we were slightly concerned about the stripes and if they'd grow out.  Now, we're just hoping we'll see the grass green again!

We're not far away from completing this work, and then we'd get to see if the double bifold door gamble paid off...

More soon.

PoCoLo